Bike Rental FAQs
Where can we pick up a bike?
All of our bikes can be rented and must be dropped off at our office, 502 23rd Street NW, Washington, DC, 20037. We are located near the intersection of 23rd and E Streets NW in Columbia Plaza.
Are reservations requred?
Although reservations for rentals are not required, we do recommend making one as walk ins are handled on a first come first serve basis. If you have children or need a tag along or trailer we strongly recommend making a reservation or checking with us as we have a limited amount of each.
Is there a Subway (metro) station nearby?
Yes! The Foggy Bottom Metro Station is just a short walk from our office. Simply exit the Foggy Bottom Station, take a right and walk down three blocks. Just after you pass Virginia Avenue, we will be in Columbia Plaza on the right side of the street (across from a huge round circular building that looks like an air filter!)
Is parking available near the office?
There is a parking garage in Columbia Plaza (the building we are located in). It is operated by PMI Parking and you can find more info about parking in that garage by clicking here. Note the address of the parking garage (2400 Virginia Ave NW) is slightly different than our address (502 23rd St NW), but they are in the same building. There is also street parking available near our office, but be sure to check the meters as they may restrict the parking time to 2 hours. Or, they may not allow parking during certain hours. Though parking is available, we always encourage our guests to use the METRO to avoid street closures, heavy traffic and difficulty finding parking.
How much is a bike rental?
Rentals are $7/hour per bike, toddler seat, trailer, or tagalong. We have a flat $40 maximum for an all day rental.
When and where do I have to return the rental?
All bikes must be returned back at our office by close of the shop that day. Between March and November the shop is open till 6pm, and between December and Feb we close at 5. Bikes arriving after the specified time will be charged for a 24 hour rental.
Is DC a safe city for children to bike around and what kind of childrens bikes do we have?
Absolutely DC is safe for children! The district has well over 50 miles of bike specific lanes (for a map of bike lanes and routes click here). Bikes are also allowed on the entire two mile stretch of the National Mall connecting the U.S. Capitol building and the Lincoln Memorial. All in all, with our great bike lanes, wide sidewalks and fairly flat topography DC is a great place to bike around for the entire family!
You can view our bikes here, but we offer 4 options for children depending on their age, size, and riding ability.
- For children under 18 months of age or 45lbs (20kg), we have baby seats that can be attached to the back of a bike.
- For children children weighing up to 65lbs (30kg), we have trailers that can be left open or zipped up to fully enclose the passenger.
- For children up to 12 years old or 100lbs (45kg), we have 2 wheeled tandem trailers. The passenger sits on a seat and can pedal or coast. All riders over 100lbs (45kg) must ride their own bicycle. We have various smaller sized mountain bikes for those able to ride on their own, and of course, our regular beach cruisers for children big enough to ride them.
- All childrens bikes, seats and trailers are also $7/hour.
- Unfortunately, we do not have any adult tricycles or bikes with training wheels for adults that may be less confident in their riding ability. If possible, please let us know if you would like one of our tandems, trailers, baby seats, or child bikes in advance that you'd like to reserve either a child seat or trailer. Please Note: All child bikes use hand brakes. There are no pedal breaks available.
What is included with a rental?
All rentals will receive a bike, helmet, and one lock and key.
Do I HAVE to wear a helmet?
Bike renters may opt not to wear helmets, only if they are over 18, but are asked to sign a waiver saying they have been recommended to wear a helmet at all times. This option is only available for those who are NOT taking the tour, but are RENTING the bikes without a guide on an hourly/daily basis.
Will I have to leave a deposit to rent a bike?
When you arrive at our office we will take a digital imprint of a credit card to make ensure you return with the bike and that it is in working order. Per the rental agreement you will sign upon arrival, you are responsible for damage or loss of the bike.